Thursday 6 May 2021

God rolls up His sleeve

I heard a very interesting conversation over a local radio station recently as I was driving home. It was all about God rolling up His sleeve and baring His arm ... picture it!

It's an awesome picture!

Where does it come from?

It comes from a new song by one of my favourite artists, Toby Mac. And he really produced a very catchy tune with interesting lyrics ... if you understand the context ...

... and shamefully some people out there don't ...

Some opinions sprout from a life spend in the religious corridors of the institutional church, triggered by a new hit like this.

As I said, the words in the song are biblical ... but you have to know the context before you go on telling people that God is getting ready to zap them!

What a knock-off to a nice song!

Begin where it begins

It begins with a song, recently in February by Toby Mac titled Help is on the way. The following lyrics are from his song (note the bold refrains):

It may be midnight or midday
Never early, never late
He gon' stand by what He claim
Lived enough life to say
I heard your heart
I see your pain
Out in the dark
Out in the rain
Feel so alone
Feel so afraid
I heard you pray in Jesus' name
It may be midnight or midday
It's never early, never late
He gon' stand by what He claim
I've lived enough life to say
Help is on the way (roundin' the corner)
Help is on the way (comin' for ya)
Help is on the way (yeah, yeah)
I've lived enough life to say
Help is on the way
Sometimes it's days
Sometimes it's years
Some face a lifetime of falling tears
But He's in the darkness
He's in the cold
Just like the morning, He always shows
It may be midnight or midday
It's never early, never late
He gon' stand by what He claim
I've lived enough  life to say
Help is on the way (roundin' the corner)
Help is on the way (comin' for ya)
Help is on the way (yeah, yeah)
I've lived enough life to say
Help is on the way
Well I've seen my share of troubles
But the Lord ain't failed me yet
So I'm holding on to the promise y'all
That He's rolling up His sleeves again
Said I've seen my share of troubles
But the Lord ain't failed me yet
We'll keep holding on to the promise y'all
That He's rolling up His sleeves again
Don't you know it
(Rolling up his sleeves again)
I can see him rolling
(Rolling up, rolling up)
Help is coming
(Rolling up his sleeves again)
It may be midnight or midday
He's never early, no never late
He gon' stand by what He claim
I've lived enough life to say
It may be midnight or midday
It's never early, never late
He gon' stand by what He claim
I've lived enough life to say
Help is on the way
Help is on the way (roundin' the corner)
Help is on the way

God is rolling up His sleeves!

Well, by now reading my blog posts you'd realise that I will NOT necessarily agree with every teaching or all the lyrics of a song for that matter. But as I said, it is a catchy tune and what I would normally do during my alone-time-sing-along-sessions, is to change the words of songs to be more in line with the finished work of Christ ... more Grace-based.

Ha!

So, even though this particular song contains some truths, there are deferred hope elements that are just too much for me to bear.

Origins, please!

Apparently the arm-barring phrase used in the lyrics comes from Isaiah 52:10-11.

Yes. It is biblical!

But, biblical does not provide us with freedom for Babylonian interpretation!

All good and well

All of this is good and well if we'd just recognize the fact that Isaiah is in the old covenant and that a lot has happened since he penned down this prophecy.

Off cause a Scriptural phrase like this lends itself for some doctrinal zap-sticking and carrot-luring actions, and what law-preached could ever resist to pass that opportunity by?

According to the radio station presenter God was getting ready to zap those who were leading godless lives and are sinners and did not see the need to be converted ...

Really?

Even though the message of the lyrics in the song is one of deferred hope looking at it after the cross and resurrection of Christ, the presenter took it even further out of context! The message of the presenter had no hope. Only doom!

So, let's get some context of the quoted verse

The prophet Isaiah is addressing the nation of Israel here. Israel is in a self-inflicted state of confusion and bondage (similar to the situation of many Christians today) as a result of their adultery and mistrust in YHWH.

Israel is called to arise from their miserable situation and encouraged to look towards the redemptive action that YHWH will be taking (already taken for us) concerning their captivity and bondage. They are called to put on their beautiful garments (cloak of righteousness, Isa 61:10 - their Saviour, available to all after His Finished work)).

YHVH, through the prophet here, tells them exactly what it is that He will be doing - the Arm (Yah'shua) of YHVH will be revealed!

The Arm of YHVH is about to be revealed!

The arm IS Jesus! When scripture talks about "the right hand of God", "the arm of God", "His mighty hand", His mighty arm", it talks about one Person.

Jesus!

The nation is already in bondage, beat-down and in an utterly poor state. He is NOT getting ready to kick them in the face!

He is about to get ready to fight for them!

That was then. Now is now and after that day!

The author of Hebrews says they did not enter in because of their unbelief ...


Isaiah 52 tell us to whom that day is aimed. And so does  Isaiah 52:15:


It is a fight for you and not against you ...

(My sincere apology, look at the mistake in my sentence above. Let me rephrase correctly: It was a fight fought (past tense) for you and not against you!). We have to get our tenses right.

Jesus said It is Finished!

He meant it!

No comments:

Get Twitter Fan Box Widget
- See more at: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/floatting-twitter-fan-box-for-blogger.html#sthash.RumcxfhG.dpuf